Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Is Rafael Nadal the Greatest?


Double Fault!! Just Long!! Rafa Wins!!

These were the last words that I heard on the online commentary from the laptop of my office on the Monday Evening and then my heart sank. This wasn’t the first occasion or the first year it had happened to me. From the past 5-6 years, around the same time in the year, it has been happening, to me just once in 2009 I was jumping with excitement at this time because Federer had beaten Soderling to claim his Career Slam, the rest years have been filled with despair and some cursing. But still I stand up every time and clap for this gentleman whom I curse as he has time and again proved that he is the one to beat when it comes to the Clay Surfaces.



Rafael Nadal won his 7th French Open Singles Title becoming the First man in the history of open era tennis surpassing the great Bjon Borg who had won 6 of them, a feat which looked unconquerable until Nadal his quest and year after year emerging much stronger and more formidable. I agree he is the King of Clay as the world says but if people say he is the World’s Greatest, I beg to differ. Nadal has won 11 slams till now out of which 7 are French.

But

Is he the greatest?

This question will be definitely be answered in the times to come!   

A dejected Djokovic stood there in the presentation ceremony.  Not blaming the rains completely. He was seeing the good side of the loss, he was on the verge of losing at the hands of Tsonga but he rose from the ashes and fought back. He might not be the King of Clay but he surely gives Nadal a run for his money. He has stopped Nadal’s express and limited his achievements to the clay. While Rafa still has the lead when it comes head to head, of these 19 victories, 12 have been on clay. 

Does Nadal deserve a place here yet? 







So I throw the Question again….

Is Nadal the Greatest?

No comments:

Post a Comment